Monday, May 3, 2010

"The City"


the city is stars.

strolling in her streets one night,
she shook me up like a double-shot espresso
just posing there like Grace Kelly
all draped in evening gowns.

when it snowed the glamorous girls looked better,
stumbling through her high-heeled streets
and the city twinkling and reflecting
in their painted kissers.

she was cussing and crashing,
applying smoke and cooking oil
like swanky perfume,
and I just missed getting sprayed.

she was dizzy and bright,
with potholes like buttons.

and she, the city, all but got me one night,
her summer music clinging
to my sleeve, catching
in my curls,

her neon notes
making streetlamps
glow brighter in my wide
glitter crazed eyes.

she all but got me one night
until home called my name,

and the city is stars,
the city is stars
but i don't want
to live in the stars.

No comments: